What Is MyCompLab
MyCompLab, a powerful and flexible online learning solution, facilitates writing instruction while providing personal assessment and practice resources to hone students’ skills.
Emerging from instructors’ desire to put writing at the forefront of the Composition course and to teach students in the context of their own writing, MyCompLab facilitates writing instruction through time-saving commenting functions. Students benefit from learning resources integrated with the composing space as well as personalized assessment that direct learning via a Study Plan.
For almost a decade, MyCompLab has been the most widely used online learning application at the composition course level, with over 1 million student registrations across two- and four-year institutions. We have published case studies and multiple surveys demonstrating how MyCompLab consistently enhances instructors’ teaching and students’ writing as well as critical thinking.
Learn more about MyCompLab's features for:
Students come to the composition course with varying skill levels and different learning styles. We built MyCompLab to accommodate these differences.
- Composing Space. The MyCompLab Composing Space integrates the market-leading resources for writing, grammar, and research with an easy-to-use writing environment that looks and functions like most popular word processing programs. Students have these powerful learning tools at their fingertips as they research, draft, and revise. In this revolutionary application, students can receive feedback (from their instructor, their peers, and a Pearson tutor). The result is that they are encouraged to think critically as they revise and improve their skills based on their individual needs.
- Resources. The Resource section contains instruction, multimedia tutorials and exercises for a wide variety of composition topics. Topics are organized under the broad categories of Writing, Grammar, and Research. Each topic has instructional assets (text-based), multimedia assets (audio lessons, videos, animations, tutorials), exercise sets (for student practice), and skill building sets (for instructors to build specific assignments).
- ePortfolio. The Portfolio feature is another key feature of MyCompLab. With only a few clicks, students create e-portfolios of their work that they can easily share with their instructor, other evaluators, and peers. Students can include multimodal compositions in their portfolios, export them as .html or PDF files, or continue adding to them throughout their college career and beyond.
We asked. Throughout the last ten years, we’ve spoken to instructors across the composition curriculum to identify what the ideal course tool would offer.
We listened. The administrative features developed—in consultation with composition instructors—specifically for MyCompLab bring instructors closer to their student writers, make managing assignments and evaluating papers more efficient, and save instructors time.
- Writing Commenting. The innovative commenting functionality in MyCompLab saves significant time by allowing instructors to insert favorite comments and common errors. It also allows instructors to create personalized study plans for students by linking to topics in the Resource library from the student's own writing.
- Course Management. The MyCompLab Assignment Builder is the premier management function available. Instructors may choose the following assignment types from a rich library:
- creating individual-student writing assignments
- organizing group work
- facilitating peer review
- managing student portfolios
- creating skill-building assignments
- incorporating diagnostics to match to their course goals
With MyCompLab, instructors also benefit from these privileges and tools:
- hide features or course areas (e.g., the Resources) altogether
- assign “section instructors” (a.k.a., TA status) to course members
- Chat & ClassLive tools engage classes in synchronous chat and whiteboard sessions
- email the entire class or select recipients
Transitioning to the New MyCompLab
If you're already using MyCompLab, we're here to help you make a seamless transition to the new MyCompLab. Visit Transitioning to the New MyCompLab for resources that will help you get familiar with the new navigation and option set.